PETERBOROUGH SLO-PITCH ASSOCIATION CONSTITUTION
1. The executive shall be made up of a President, Treasurer, Vice President, and Recording Secretary. Elections shall be held at the fall general meeting each year, to be held before November 1st of the year. The elections will rotate every other year to elect the President/Secretary, followed by the Vice-President/Treasurer in order to avoid full turn over. The Past President will sit as an advisor only.
2. National slo-pitch rules of play will be used with the following exceptions:
- A player arriving late may be added to the batting order at the bottom of the starting order
- Unlimited fielding substitutions allowed.
- A team must have at least 8 players to avoid a forfeit.
- No tagging a runner that goes over the commitment line at home.....force out only!!!
- A catcher and pitcher must be in the proper position until each pitch has been delivered.
- Any player having to be removed from a game simply is removed from the lineup with NO penalty but may NOT return to the game. (coed must always bat guy-girl etc)
- See co-ed specific rules below
Co-Ed Rules - Exceptions from the NSA Rulebook
5 & 5 COED SLO-PITCH RULES
RULE 1 – DEFINITIONS 5 & 5 COED
No changes, Refer to Rule 1, General Playing Rules.
RULE 2 – THE PLAYING FIELD 5 & 5 COED
FENCE DISTANCE Minimum fence distance – 275 feet
THE OFFICIAL DIAMOND will have a PITCHER'S BOX that is defined as a two (2) foot wide by ten (10) foot long area, directly between the pitchers plate and second base, which starts 50 feet from the back of home plate. The pitcher must pitch while having one foot planted within the pitchers box.
RULE 3 – EQUIPMENT 5 & 5 COED
THE OFFICIAL SOFTBALL
a. A solid core ball as described in Rule 3, General Playing Rules, with a coefficient of restitution (COR) of .47 or less. The ball must be black stitched. Optic yellow balls are mandatory.
b. Grey dots or NSA balls.
c. In NSA men and women use a different sized ball, we will not be following this rule. All players will use the same ball provided by the home team, one new ball and one good used ball must be provided.
ALL PLAYERS MUST WEAR APPROVED SHOES
a. No metal spikes are allowed in any coed play. No hard plastic or polyurethane spikes similar to metal soles and heel plate are allowed in any coed play.
a. Casts (plaster, metal, or other hard substances) may not be worn during the game. Any exposed metal may be considered legal if covered by soft material and taped unless cleared with other team.
b. Uniforms must be identical. All players on a team shall wear uniforms alike in colour and style. Shorts or pants can be worn simultaneously, however, any combination should be similar in colour and style. Caps and visors that are worn must be worn properly.
a. Men are to use wooden bats only, banned bats include bamboo and corndogs. Women can use aluminum bats.
RULE 4 – PLAYERS AND SUBSTITUTIONS 5 & 5 COED
A TEAM SHALL CONSIST OF:
a. Coed (Slo-pitch). Ten (10) players; five (5) males and five (5) females.
b. A team must start a game with a minimum of ten (10) players and finish a game with ten (10) players. Coed teams may use the extra player ("EP") rule. **In PSPA, you can start with 9 players if short 1 female player, you cannot fill the missing spot with an additional male player. You must have a minimum of 4 female players to play a game.
f. Outfielders at the start of a play, may not be on the infield surface. See Playing Field Dimensions for end of skinning.
g. Late players cannot be added mid-inning. They can be added to the bottom of the batting order for the first full inning they are in attendance.
RULE 6 – PITCHING REGULATIONS 5 & 5 COED
No changes, Refer to Rule 6, General Playing Rules.
RULE 7 – BATTING 5 & 5 COED
EACH PLAYER ON THE SIDE at bat shall become a batter in the order in which their names appear on the score sheet.
a.Male and female players must alternate in the batting order, either a male or female batter may bat first in the lineup. If more female players than male players, females will bat back-to-back. This order must also be maintained when using the "EP" rule
THE BATTER IS OUT:
k. When the batter attempts a bunt.
RULE 8 – BASERUNNING 5 & 5 COED
a. No forward motion sliding.
b. No outfielder can throw a runner out at first.
RULE 9 – DEAD BALL - BALL IN PLAY 5 & 5 COED
No changes, Refer to Rule 9, General Playing Rules.
RULE 10 – UMPIRES 5 & 5 COED
No changes, Refer to Rule 10, General Playing Rules.
RULE 11 – PROTESTS 5 & 5 COED
No changes, Refer to Rule 11, General Playing Rules.
- No sliding at any base. Runners may slide/dive back into a base once theypass the base. Players who slide, will be automatically out.
- No outfielder is permitted to throw a batter out at first base.
- Any runner who steps on or touches home base is out.
- Courtesy runners are allowed. Courtesy runners are the last recorded out. Teams should indicate which players are unable to run due to injury/age on the roster using the letters NR (non runner). NR’s must be indicated on
roster before the game begins. If a player is injured during the game and continues to play, he may be added to the NR list.
- Wooden Bats only. No composite or bamboo.
- No player may be added to a roster after 3 full innings of play during the regular season. Teams may wave this during the regular season should they so desire.
- No player may be added to the roster after 4 full innings of play during the Play-offs.
- Runners advancing from first to second or second to third must stop at the bag they are advancing to unless proceeding to the next bag. No runner may over run these bags in a straight line. This is to avoid unnecessary
collisions or contact between players.
- Helmets are currently optional.
- Burham Division uses Grey dot baseballs only.
CITY OF PETERBOROUGH BYLAW
3. CITY OF PETERBOROUGH BYLAW: There will be NO ALCOHOL on or around, the playing field or parking areas at ANY time. Any team ignoring this ruling may be disqualified from the league. NO SMOKING (including e-cigarettes) at or around any City ball diamond!!!!!!!!!!!! (parking lot areas excepted). Click here to read the City Of Peterborough Bylaw.
4. Home team will supply bases, home plate mat and 1 new Grey Dot (optic yellow) 12" ball to be used for the doubleheader, plus one good used ball. Failure to comply with the above will mean forfeiture of the home game advantage. If the home team advantage is forfeited the opposing team needs only supply good used balls. The home team is listed "FIRST" on schedules.
Last week of the regular season (during an exhibition at Morrow Pk) all games 'except Sunday' will be a single 7 inning game!!!
5. (A) Playoffs: To be eligible for playoffs a player must play in at least 4 different scheduled dates of their team's scheduled games.
(B) Team Rosters: First and last names are to be printed on roster sheets. Each league team will be allowed a MAXIMUM of 20 players.
Completed regular season (and playoff) roster to be submitted before JULY 15th..submit roster electronically at the league website and follow the drop-down to get to the roster page
ANY TEAM ROSTER NOT SUBMITTED WILL NOT HAVE PLAYERS ELIGIBLE FOR PLAYOFFS…LEAGUE OFFICIALS CANNOT CHANGE THAT AFTER JULY 15TH
- players may NOT play for a second MASTERS OR COED team in the SAME division, or on the same night.
Penalty for using illegal player(s): After one warning, ALL teams using the illegal player(s) WILL be eliminated in participating in league playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!! The players in question must be eliminated immediately from the years play on ANY team…
(C) Score Sheets:
- names to be printed on score sheets exactly as they appear on the team roster. No other will be given attendance credit.
- name of any player ejected from the game must be written on the score sheet as being ejected.
- umpire and coach must sign home team score sheets.
- the team name, time, date, and park must be entered on all score sheets. Circle your team name when both sides of the sheet have been used.
- score sheets now will remain with the team rep and not be submitted. If there are any discrepancies for the playoffs the league executive will ask for your scorebook.
Note…CANCELLED GAMES: Both teams must show up unless the games have been canceled by the league by 5 p.m. game day (8:30 a.m. Sundays). NOTICE OF CANCELLATION WILL BE SHOWN ON THE WEBSITE ONLY. Once the game is started, it will not be stopped unless the umpire stops it. The game will not be stopped unless it starts to rain hard and further deteriorates field conditions or if lightning is present. Once the game starts, the umpire must be paid by the league and you receive no rebate.
15. (a) Any players playing coed may play in more than one division, but NEVER on the same night. No exception for scheduling due to conflicts!!
(b) Any male may play in ONE Masters (+45 ) and one Sunday men's team. New for 2019, one (1) player aged 42 or over in the same calendar year may play in the Masters' Division but must be declared...For playoffs in Masters and Sunday men only there will be no coin toss for a home game. The highest seed after the regular season is done will always be the home game.
16. Scores: The winning team will log in to slopitchpeterborough.ca and find your game in the division and date and report the score. The score will automatically update the standings page if reported within 7 days of the date played. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO UPDATE STANDINGS IF THE SCORE IS NOT REPORTED ON TIME. Have someone designated to report each week's score and one alternate in case the reporting person is not available.
17. NEW IN 2018: A maximum of 6 runs per inning with an open last inning.
ALL MASTERS DIVISIONS AND ALL MALES IN COED DIVISIONS MUST USE WOODEN OFFICIAL SOFTBALL BATS ONLY. (BAMBOO BATS ARE NOT ALLOWED). No metal bats for men!
AGM April 11th, 2023
- Different registration process
- One time registration as a player
- Coaches will register, all will be registered under a team as opposed to individually
- Equipment and bats – use the balls up that you have, we can get the balls in bulk from specific website for the NSA balls. Bats are available there as well.
- Composite bats/bamboo bats not allowed, corndogs included
- Prizing this year will be custom uniforms for division winners, can potentially be different
- Bowers fields bases will placed on weekdays
- Coed rules have been streamlined, you can find them on the website under the rules section.
- Roster attendance will be kept up via a Google Sheet team captains will have to check their teams’ attendance weekly.
- Cut off for team registrations will be April 24th
- Plan to start the week before Mother’s Day, weather dependent
- Playoffs will return to the original double knock-out format